Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Reflections from the donor

Wow, that was some week! I find it hard to believe - sitting at home with laptop on lap - that this time last week I was just about waking up from major surgery. The fact that I am feeling pretty darned good right now - if sore and tired - is a tribute to the skill of the surgical, medical and nursing teams at the Hammersmith Hospital.

Two things I absolutely have to say. First, thanks to all of you who visited, sent goodwill messages, cards, calls etc. etc. to Gill and I. It meant more than you'll ever know. A special thanks to Gill and my kids for their love and support throughout. Second, I am absolutely elated at Paul's progress. When you go into this you know intellectually that it should lead to a good outcome for both of us, but to actually see it happen is just the most wonderful thing.

Other things I've learned:

- When a nurse says "We need to get you off the bed and start sitting up" what he/she actually means is "I'm a fully paid-up member of the Spanish Inquisition and it's torture time"

- I am awed by Paul's stoicism throughout the week and - now that I have a better understanding - of what he has had to go through for months and years. This guy is seriously gutsy.

- And likewise Barbara. You two are an inspiration and a great team, and I am deeply honoured to have shared in your family story these last few months.

- Doing something like this is more than just a physical act. I hesitate to use the word but it was a spiritual week for me as Paul and I shared a unique experience..

My part in this is essentially over. Apart from slowly but surely getting back to normal, I can relax and carry on with my life basically unchanged. I look forward to continuing good news about Paul's progress but it sure looks as though Sidney the Kidney has settled in and something remarkable has happened.

God bless you all.

Leslie

No comments: